Photograph of a pinning ceremony at the library, June 1957. Photograph courtesy of Clark County Museum, Henderson Home News Photographs (2000.420G.3330)
Photograph of women around a table covered with books in a library, July 1957. Photograph courtesy of Clark County Museum, Henderson Home News Photographs (2000.420G.3177)
Photograph of a large group of kids in the library, 1957. Photograph courtesy of Clark County Museum, Henderson Home News Photographs (2000.420G.3716)
Photograph of the November Reader of the Month for Henderson District Public Library, 10-year old Pamela Allsebrook. Photograph courtesy of Clark County Museum, Henderson Home News Photographs (2000.420G.10195)
September 10, 1942 - Basic Magnesium, Inc. Technical Library
The only library in Henderson is housed in the Basic Magnesium, Inc. Administration building. The Big Job, BMI's employee newsletter, features an article about a donation of non-technical books for BMI employees to borrow.
July 22, 1943 - First library established in Henderson
The first library is established in Henderson at the Basic Townsite in July 1943. The Las Vegas Retail Merchants Association purchased and donated 75 volumes to the Basic Townsite Library.
From left to right: Bill Gaie, Opal Earl, Inez Ferguson, and Vic Shurtleff.
January 22, 1944 - Henderson District Public Libraries are founded
1956 - Henderson District Public Library becomes a county library district
The Library became a county library district during a special session of the Nevada Legislature during a major overhaul of education laws. At that time, school district statutes were repealed and county library districts were automatically established with identical boundaries and the board of trustees began being appointed by the board of county commissioners. Minutes in possession of the Library District show County Commission appointments to the board in 1958.
October 1956 - Building on Water and Pacific Streets reopened
Photographs of the Henderson District Public Library in October 1956 at Water and Pacific Streets in Downtown Henderson. The library was closed for a few weeks in 1956 to enlarge the building. It reopened on October 9, 1956. Photographs courtesy of Clark County Museum, Henderson Home News Photographs.
1958 - Book circulation
Henderson District Public Library checks out over 33,000 books for the year 1958, and Henderson population reaches 17,000!
November 16, 1959 - Dedication ceremony for the $15,000 addition
Photographs of the dedication of the new $15,000 addition to the Henderson District Public Library.
Harley Harmon, Chairman of the Board of County Commissioners is on the left.
Left to right: Earl Keenan, Harley Harmon, Chairman of the Board of County Commissioners, George Jeffs, Reverend Robert Cochrane, Barney Cannon, J.L. Van Valey
The Library Board of Trustees votes to increase the checkout limit for adult patrons to 4 books.
October 11, 1966 - New hours
The Library Board of Trustees approves the library to be open 6 days a week instead of 5. The new hours: Monday – Thursday 12pm to 9pm, Friday – Saturday 12pm to 5 pm.
1967 - Legislation passed to form library districts in Nevada
Legislation was passed to make it easier to form a library district. Henderson and Boulder City remain as previously formed, and several additional county library districts have subsequently formed including Clark County Library District, Pahrump, Smokey Valley, Amargosa, and Tonopah Library Districts.
1968 - Budget
Henderson District Public Library budgets $7,429 for Fiscal Year 1968 books and materials.
1969 - Helen Van Wagenen, Librarian
Helen Van Wagenen replaces Lydia Malcolm as Head Librarian, and stays in that role until 1971. “Helen Van Wagenen, librarian at Henderson District Public Library standing by a garden wall, holding two yams”. Photograph courtesy of Clark County Museum, Henderson Home News Photograhs. 2000.420G.7708
March 20, 1969 - Borrowing privileges
The Library Board of Trustees agrees to a 6-month trial period for reciprocal borrowing privileges between all libraries in Clark County.
Henderson District Public Library files boundary maps with the county recorder.
July 12, 1971 - Thomas Hollis, Librarian
Thomas Hollis is the new Librarian for Henderson District Public Library.
November 7, 1974 - Library consolidation
Resolution passed by the Library Board of Trustees: “Because the consolidation of the Las Vegas Public Library with Clark County Library District has not proven to be an efficient use of funds, manpower, or resources and because personalized and unique library service can best be accomplished according to individual community standards, therefore it is resolved that the Boulder City Public Library, Henderson District Public Library, and the North Las Vegas Public Library do object and take irrevocable stand against further library consolidation in Clark County.”
February 3, 1977 - Budget
Librarian Tom Hollis informs the Library Board of Trustees the revenue for the Fiscal Year 1978 budget is $64,046.
The Library Board of Trustees approves the Fiscal Year 1982 budget of $118,889.
1982 - Michael Thomas Carollo, Librarian
Michael Thomas "M.T." Carollo is the new Librarian for Henderson District Public Library.
November 10, 1983 - Late fines
The Library Board of Trustees votes to raise late fines from $0.02/day to $0.05/day.
1985 - Fact sheet
January 1986 - Janet Clark, Acting Director
Janet Clark assumes the role as Acting Director for the Library until August 6, 1988
February 4, 1986 - Mayor Lorna Kesterson signs resolution
Mayor Lorna Kesterson signs a resolution to lease Henderson District Public Library property for a new library facility. The property appraises for $1.2 million. The lease amount is $1/year for 99 years.
1987 - Book circulation
Henderson District Public Library checks out over 86,600 books in 1987, and has over 44,000 books in the collection. Henderson population reaches just over 44,000 people.
February 1988 - Pittman Library opens
The Pittman Library had been housed since its opening on the western edge of Wells Park in a building constructed by the Pittman Women's Club in the mid-1950's. In February 1988, a new facility, made possible through federal funds, opened its doors to the Pittman area community. During the opening ceremonies, Mayor Lorna Kesterson noted the building was "completely modernized." Nevada First Congressional District Representative, James Bilbray, was on hand to see firsthand how the federal funds benefited individual members of the community. He called the public library system "one of the great benefits of being an American," during his address to the crowd of well-wishers that gathered for the grand opening. The library was renovated again in the 1990's through a cooperative effort of the Henderson District Public Libraries, Henderson Boys & Girls Club and the City of Henderson. Today, the Pittman Cybrary as it is now known is housed in a building shared with the Henderson Boys & Girls Club. Innovative technology and programming helped launch the Pittman Cybrary into the new millennium.
August 1988 - Carroll Gardner, Library Director
Carroll Gardner assumes the role as Library Director until July 1993
March 13, 1989 - James I. Gibson Library opens
The James I. Gibson Library opened with a celebration honoring Senator James I. Gibson for his assistance in obtaining passage of a statewide bond and subsequent allocation of funds to Henderson for the building. The previous building at 55 S. Water Street, acquired in 1946, had long been in disrepair, outdated and over-utilized. The fast growing population hailed the new library as a symbol of their “arrival” in the modern world of libraries.
Library Director Carroll Gardner announces her intent to retire. A salary range of $42,000 – 53,500 is established to recruit a new library director.
July 1993 - John Gettleman, Library Director
John Gettleman is the new Library Director for Henderson District Public Libraries, until he leaves in March 1995
1994 - Organizational chart
September 30, 1995 - Lydia Malcolm Library opens
The Lydia Malcolm Library opened to provide service to a rapidly growing area of Henderson. Named for Henderson’s longest-serving librarian, Lydia Malcolm, who oversaw the opening festivities, the 4,000 square foot-facility opened with 15,000 books on its shelves. The facility offered traditional library resources, such as a reference section and selection of music CD’s, but had a particular emphasis on children’s services. The Malcolm Library became the third facility for the Henderson District Public Libraries. The Malcolm Library was the first storefront library in Henderson.
March 1995 - Zuki Landau, Library Director
Zuki Landau is the new Library Director until November 1998
February 1997 - Reference Statistics
Reference Statistics for February 1997.
March 8, 1999 - Joan Kerschner, Library Director
Joan G. Kerschner, State Librarian, is the new Library Director for Henderson District Public Libraries.
Paseo Verde Library opened with a day-long celebration. An early morning reception paid tribute to Honorary Friends of the Library, including Selma Bartlett, Donna Childs, Bob Fielden, Mayor James B. Gibson, Brian Greenspun, Lorna Kesterson, Claire MacDonald, Sandy Miller, Mike O’Callaghan, Hal Rothman, Hal & Tina Smith, Othena Williams, and Commissioner Bruce Woodbury.
A dedication ceremony was held outside, featuring a keynote speech by Mayor James I. Gibson. Nearly 3,000 people visited the library that day to enjoy music, food, storytelling and author visits and to check out 2,500 books!
April 4, 2004 - Tom Fay, Library Director
Joan Kerschner retires, Tom Fay is the new Executive Director for Henderson District Public Libraries.
June 22, 2004 - Hawkeye
“Hawkeye” the library mascot makes his debut.
February 2005 - Malcolm Library moves
Lydia Malcolm Library opened at 2960 Sunridge Heights Parkway, replacing the storefront at Pecos and Wigwam.
April 22, 2006 - Bookmobile
Henderson Libraries Bookmobile debuts at the Heritage Days Parade
June 11, 2007 - 1,000,000 circulation
Henderson Libraries circulation hit 1,000,000 for the fiscal year, setting a new record
September 29, 2007 - APPLE Partnership
The APPLE Partnership brought Marc Brown to Henderson
October 2007 - One Book
One Book kicked off with Mitch Albom’s The Five People You Meet in Heaven.
October 18, 2007 - Reduction in hours
The Library Board of Trustees approves reduction in library hours effective February 1, 2008 due to budget shortfall
February 28, 2009 - The Galleria Library
The Galleria Library at the Galleria Sunset Mall opens.
March 19, 2009 - Pittman Library closes
The Library Board of Trustees decides to close the Pittman Library
May 2, 2009 - Green Valley Library
The Green Valley Library re-opens as part of the Henderson District Public Libraries