close
Font size options
Increase or decrease the font size for this website by clicking on the 'A's.
Contrast options
Choose a colour combintion to give he most comfortable contrast.
Women of St. Rose


Women of St. Rose
BMI Hospital was the first hospital in Henderson, Nevada. It was built in 1942 to serve the employees at Basic Magnesium, Inc. (BMI). The BMI plant shut down its operations in 1944, and the hospital was put up for sale.
Father Peter Moran, pastor of St. Peter's Church in Henderson, wrote a letter to Mother Mary Gerald Barry of the Adrian Dominican Sisters of Michigan in 1946 suggesting that the Sisters purchase the hospital. The Adrian Dominican Sisters proceeded with the purchase, and the hospital was renamed Rose de Lima and turned over to the Sisters in 1947.
Seven Adrian Dominican Sisters arrived in Henderson in 1947 to assume responsibility for the hospital. These Sisters, along with countless other women in the Henderson community, worked hard during many lean years to ensure that the hospital could continue to provide high quality care to Henderson's residents.
Most of the documents and photographs in this collection reveal many of the daily and annual activities undertaken by the Adrian Dominican Sisters and by the women of the hospital's auxiliary, who have been essential to the hospital's growth. Narratives by and interviews with former Sisters and staff members recount much of the history of the hospital.
Over the years the hospital has undergone several changes. Building additions have been made, two campus locations have been added (Siena and St. Martin), and the name of the hospital has changed. In 1973 the name of the hospital was changed from Rose de Lima to St. Rose de Lima, and in 1989 it was changed to St. Rose Dominican Hospital.
The description for each item in this collection includes the name of the hospital as it was named when the item was created. For example, the hospital annals in this collection cover the years between 1947 and 1970 when the hospital was called Rose de Lima, so the description for each of the annals items refers to Rose de Lima rather than to subsequent names of the hospital.

Click here to access the Women of St. Rose Collection


Type of materials in this collection: Photographs, annals, letters, invitations, scrapbook, books, and publicity-related materials

Timeframe: 1942-2007

Items included: In spring 2011, the hospital provided Henderson Libraries with several boxes of various historical materials. Most of these materials have been included in this collection. Documents and photographs were scanned, and the original materials were appropriately housed, inventoried, and stored at the Henderson Libraries Paseo Verde branch. It should be noted that the best version of each item has been included in this collection. In some cases, the "original" materials were photocopies or scans. If the content of the photocopied or scanned item was deemed significant, it was included even though the resulting quality of the digitized item is typically poor.

If you wish to view the original materials represented in this collection, please contact the Digital Collections Librarian at the Paseo Verde branch of the Henderson Libraries. These items may be viewed during an arranged appointment.

Copyright information: The items in this collection are provided for non-commercial personal and academic use by Henderson Libraries patrons and may not be republished in any way. Contact St. Rose Dominican Hospitals for additional information regarding rights to this material.

Digitization process and software needed: Specifications vary depending on the source of the material.
  • Text: The text-based items in this collection are PDF files. You must have a PDF reader in order to view the text-based items in this collection.
  • Photographs: The photographs in this collection were digitized and saved as either JPEG or TIFF files.
Acknowledgements/funding: St. Rose Dominican Hospitals kindly sponsors this collection. These digitized photographs and negatives are available due to a Library Services and Technology Grant, administered for the Federal government by the Nevada State Library and Archives.

Related items/digital collections: